|Date Posted||November 14, 2022|
The Website Specialist plays a key role in the Communications and Marketing Department’s mission by implementing and managing the web functions of Marketing and Communications, reaching hundreds of thousands of users monthly. Under general direction of the Creative Services Manager, and working closely with the Communications and Marketing team and cross-departmental subject matter experts, the Website Specialist manages the following: three city websites with distinct look & feel, redesigns, compliance management, content updates, training, website applications and software. The Website Specialist works with web hosting vendor and IT for seamless integration; trains and consults with city departments and satellite organizations; produces, tracks and analyzes metrics and works in conjunction with the Communications and Marketing team on strategic integration of the websites to fit within strategic communications plans and strategies. Performs other related work as required.
Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works under the supervision of the Creative Services Manager with Communications and Marketing team members and all other city departments to ensure websites are designed to achieve strategic objectives and support overarching communications plans.
- Fosters positive interaction between city government and the people it serves.
- Develops and maintains the city web technology plan with web host vendor and IT for short- and long-term goals.
- Works with Creative Services Manager and Department Director to ensure that project budgets stay within the targeted amount.
- Stays up to date on web and technology trends and assesses web host needs and solutions for best value and service. Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures; maintains an awareness of new technology trends; reads professional literature and attends training as deemed necessary.
- Works with vendors, support groups and department content managers and communications staff to keep city websites up to date, create new content, consult on site improvements, and provide new site functionality.
- Tracks website performance through analytic tools and feedback from departments and uses that information to guide development of website strategy.
- Coordinates with graphic designers to develop graphic content, charts, and graphs. Uses computer graphics programs. Ensures graphic consistency.
- Researches and collects data and a wide variety of analytics and formulates and presents recommendations.
- Coordinates and assists in development of Internet and Intranet resources for city departments.
- Writes instructions for Internet users/customers and provides training to customers.
- Keeps supervisor and other team members informed of relevant activity.
- Follows-through on multiple assignments in a timely manner with attention to detail and deadlines.
- Develops, utilizes and recommends methods for work improvement.
- Communicates, assists, and consults with departments on representing city messages in the web medium and offers strategic solutions and problem solving.
- Updates and creates relevant web policies.
- Prepares or completes various forms, reports or correspondence. Reviews and tests software and hardware.
- Coordinates, schedules and tracks projects and results, prioritizes projects, develops work estimates, expenses and time frame, works with vendors and other team members to ensure adherence to schedules.
- Provides assistance for other department initiatives as needed.
- Complies with all written city policies and procedures.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in city and department attendance policies and procedures.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Ability to embrace and embody the city’s core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if applicable, that of subordinates.
- Ability to make effective presentations and provide training.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness and attention to detail.
- Consistently exhibits flexibility, enthusiasm, creativity, professionalism and diplomacy.
- Experience developing websites within the context of overarching and specific communications plans and brand standards.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources.
- Ability to read and edit text for grammar, style and tone, track changes, , recommend and approve changes to the website as needed.
- Ability to advise, counsel, guide, receive direction, assist and receive information, instruct request information, receive information, interview and order products.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information, policy manuals, insurance documents and policies, contracts, databases and analytics reports.
- Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; the ability to calculate decimals and percentages; the ability to utilize principles of fractions; and the ability to interpret graphs.
- Ability to apply principles of rational systems; to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
- Ability to perform simple movements requiring moderate coordination, such as those required to operate office equipment or computer equipment.
- Ability to write, update, and/or revise content for website, publications, forms and correspondence.
- Ability to perform word processing in the daily tasks of the position.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written form.
- Ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
- Have a passion for excellence and be excited about helping the city in its strategic communications and marketing endeavors.
- Build professional relationships with internal and external staff and customers.
- Ability to work after regular work hours/weekends as emergency needs dictate.
- Strong relationship building, written and verbal communications skills and organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with coworkers and the public.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, see the big picture, and show initiative in performing job duties and tying work to strategic communications and marketing plans and objectives.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and meet deadlines, while paying attention to detail.
- Knowledge of content management systems a must.
Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Public Relations or Web Development, and minimum of three (3) years’ experience in web management with marketing specific and branded content targeted to meet specific goals on medium to large-sized sites. Strong team player a must.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications may be an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
- Experience preferred in Civic Plus CMS, Microsoft Office Products, Adobe products, HTML Editors, and ADA Compliance.
- Familiarity with basic graphic design principles.
- Well-rounded communications background, in addition to specialized web knowledge, strongly desired.
Apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofmckinney/jobs/3798068/website-specialist?page=5&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs