|Date Posted||November 16, 2020|
VICE PRESIDENT, COMMUNICATIONS
Job Title: Vice President, Communications
Job Classification: Exempt
Summary: This member of the DRC Senior Team will report to the President and CEO and oversee all communications, including media relations, as well as writing, speechwriting, and editing. Media relations will include responding to the media’s inquiries, as well as proactively seeking opportunities to share the DRC’s priorities and accomplishments with a broad audience in the areas of Economic Development; Education and Workforce; Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; and Public Policy. In addition, this executive will be the premiere writer for the DRC, as well as the speechwriter for the CEO. They will supervise one other individual who also will have responsibilities for media relations, writing, speechwriting, and editing. We are seeking a person with proven media relations experience who also is an extraordinary writer, a leader, and collaborative, creative, and strategic.
Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The duties and responsibilities include the following, though other duties may be assigned.
- Serve as the DRC’s point of contact with the media and serve as a spokesperson when required.
- Build and maintain a trusted relationship with the media by exercising sound news judgment and being in constant touch.
- Proactively seek widespread and accurate media coverage of the DRC’s accomplishments and priorities.
- Handle all crisis communications needs as they arise.
- Monitor key media outlets daily for relevant stories about the DRC, or stories related to the DRC’s work in economic development; education and workforce; diversity, equity, and inclusion; and public policy.
- Create, edit, and oversee all written communications for the CEO and DRC Chair (on DRC-related matters).
- Create, edit, and/or oversee written communications for Senior Team members as needed.
- Serve as the CEO’s speechwriter.
- Draft all DRC-related remarks for the DRC Chair.
- Assist Senior Team members with their needs for speeches, talking points, and presentations.
- Proactively seek speaking opportunities for the DRC Chair, CEO, and other Senior Team members as a way of communicating to important audiences the value of the DRC’s work while building the DRC’s brand.
- Oversee editing of all materials generated by the Communications team as well as the Marketing team.
Working Alongside Marketing:
- Working closely with the SVP of Marketing, develop messaging and strategies that support strategic goals of the DRC and the DRC brand.
- Working closely with the SVP of Marketing, develop communications strategies for reaching key audiences by focusing on a specific marketing goal, and then targeting the appropriate audiences with the right message delivered by the right messenger at the right time.
- Supervise one professional whose expertise includes media relations, writing, speechwriting, and editing.
- Constantly improve the Communications Department’s efficiency and performance.
- Manage projects so that they are completed to maximum satisfaction within deadlines.
- Develop and manage the Communications Department budget.
Collaborative, Creative, Strategic:
- As a member of the DRC’s Senior Team, bring a collaborative spirit as well as creativity and strategic advice to every discussion.
Bachelor’s degree; five years’ professional and comprehensive experience in an applicable field and/or with an organization that is similar in mission and activities to the DRC.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.