Sr Communications Specialist -News
|Date Posted||May 18, 2023|
Advance and protect UNT’s institutional identity and reputation.
- Reinforce and grow UNT’s brand in graphics, images and words.
- Increase UNT’s visibility in public and in the higher education marketplace.
- Support UNT’s student recruitment, retention and graduation goals.
- Strengthen UNT’s relevance and value to key audiences, including alumni, donors, faculty and staff members, and encourage community engagement.
This is professional and administrative work developing engaging, informative, strategic and creatively packaged content about UNT’s scholarship, academics, campus life, community outreach and other activities for UBSC media relations, publications and social media. Content should always showcase the university’s strongest assets and support UNT’s progress in the achievement of its mission and goals. This person works independently and as part of work teams in collaboration with other UBSC staff members to accomplish content creation and dissemination.
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and three years of experience in writing and/or editing publications; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to conceptualize, write and edit strategic, accurate and concise content for university audiences.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, conduct multiple tasks and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to visually inspect print and online copy when self-editing or editing the copy of others
- Works effectively within a team and effectively works closely with other staff, faculty, and students toward a common goal.
- Extensive knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation and Associated Press and Chicago Manual styles.
- Knowledge of writing styles and guidelines for various media formats and ability to create, coordinate and edit copy for each format (print, digital/social media, video, broadcast, etc.).
- Understanding of institutional strategy (or ability to quickly assimilate) and ability to integrate the strategy into modes of communication.
- Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of others.
- Knowledge of and ability to research industry best practices to assist the division, college or unit in aligning strategies for UNT publications (print and digital) with University strategy and guidelines.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.