|Date Posted||February 9, 2021|
Job Purpose or Objective(s): The Senior Director of Public Relations will promote the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma to internal and external audiences in support of the organization’s comprehensive marketing and communications strategy and objectives. The role will oversee and supervise a team in executing best-in-class media relations and public affairs efforts, community relations, employee relations, event planning, and crisis management.
- Develop and implement strategic public relations plans to promote the Choctaw Nation and its overall goals and objectives in a proactive fashion.
- Oversee and develop plans to support Chief and Assistant Chief’s offices in public appearances, talking point and speech preparation, and media relations in a way that enhances community and public relations.
- Foster cross-functional collaboration within the organization on government, community and business relations efforts, including a strong partnership with Government Relations to support public policy work.
- Work in close partnership with Marketing on strategies and campaigns for free media placement/coverage and events for both commercial and public affairs objectives.
- Track and measure performance of PR programs against well-defined key performance indicators. Provide reporting and metrics to measure success to senior leadership.
- Anticipate, identify, and maintain the integrity and reputation of the Choctaw Nation among media, influencers, tribal members, customers and guests.
- Serve as an accessible, accurate and trusted media spokesperson and advisor to senior leadership on effective media engagement techniques.
- Seek out influencers that fit our brand identity and foster collaboration within the business and market.
- Oversee messaging strategy for the various media targets and pitch stories in a way that generates maximum coverage and pickup, monitor media awareness and engagement throughout all channels.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or a related field
- Proficiency with basic computer programs including Microsoft Office, social media tools, and media applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to think quickly and stay on message
- Exceptional time-management and organizational skills, with the ability to work with a team as well as independently, and to manage and meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills, with experience working collaboratively and creatively
- Ten years of professional experience in media or public relations with a strong network of traditional and news media press contacts