|Date Posted||November 8, 2019|
Responsible for supporting the Director of Media Relations in furthering the reach of nonprofit Buckner International’s mission, brand and story, including its subsidiaries and affiliates, by executing strategies and plans involving media outreach with key outlets and channels and leveraging the expertise of Buckner staff.
NOTE: Some descriptions may have more specific duties and/or goals and objectives attached to this form. Such attachments normally reflect unique aspects of specific locations, shifts, departments, etc.
- Assist in executing an ongoing media relations strategic plan and build new local and national media relationships while maintaining established media partnerships on behalf of Buckner International and its subsidiaries.
- Write, edit and distribute media releases, alerts and pitches to target media markets to promote awareness around and support of Buckner ministries, key fundraising events and public relations priorities.
- Edit expert contributed content written for external media channels by Buckner staff.
- Effectively monitor, measure, and increase Buckner’s brand presence in all external media, utilizing a media database to research, track and distribute messaging.
- Accurately and efficiently maintain media lists and media placement and messaging reports.
- Write and maintain accurate collateral pertaining to media relations, including biographical information for Buckner leadership and an updated annual fact sheet and boilerplates for all Buckner ministries.
- Assist with media training spokespeople in the field, which could include coordinating mock interviews, filming interviews and providing expert feedback.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with co-workers, occasionally helping the Director of Media Relations to partner with them on a wide variety of projects.
- Efficiently and accurately review and process mail, electronic mail and other correspondence daily.
- Promptly answer phones, take messages and respond to requests.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and trainings as required. Present at staff meetings as required.
- Travel, both domestically and internationally, as needed to support the Director of Media Relations to monitor, assess and help develop programs, projects and media-related outreach in Buckner markets.
- Film b-roll of events across Buckner markets and upload and distribute content to local market media in a timely manner.
- Complete necessary documentation accurately and in a timely manner. Prepare letters, memos, spreadsheets and other correspondence as required.
- Support the Director of Media Relations as needed.
- Liaison to community; speak in public on behalf of Buckner.
- Maintain compliance with all Buckner policies, procedures and requirements. Maintain compliance with all state and federal laws and regulatory requirements.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and training as required. Facilitate meetings and training as required.
- Develop emerging leadership through professional growth and development.
- Responsible for supporting and representing Buckner at conferences, conventions, special events, activities and other assigned functions.
- Perform general office tasks as required.
- Perform special assignments, projects and other duties as required.
POSITION EXPERIENCE AND ABILITIES:
NOTE: These requirements represent minimum levels in order to perform the job on a satisfactory basis. Candidates must have the ability to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job.
- Requires in-depth understanding of a comprehensive field of knowledge as evidenced by the attainment of a bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or another related field. Bachelor’s degree in a related field required. Minimum of 1-year prior related experience preferred (internship experience will be considered).
- Prior related experience in media relations, nonprofit marketing and/or development, or sales preferred (internship experience will be considered).
- Requires understanding of Buckner International’s mission, vision and values; requires understanding of the various types of ministries Buckner provides as related to Buckner Children and Family Services and Buckner Retirement Services.
- Requires proficient ability to speak, read and write English.
- Requires proficiency writing in AP Style.
- Requires high level of proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Photoshop, as well as a willingness to learn to utilize media tracking software.
- Requires ability to work under pressure and remain flexible as priorities change, as well as the ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing and in front of groups.
- Requires a professional, proactive demeanor and the ability to effectively work with a variety of individuals to attain organizational goals.
- Requires a strong sense of diplomacy and demonstrated success in developing strong collaborative relationships with organizational peers and outside colleagues. Requires ability to relate positively, influentially, and sensitively to a broad spectrum of persons in a variety of multi-tiered relationships and settings.
- Requires recognized ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization.
- Requires demonstrated strong analytical skills, including an ability to synthesize large amounts of information and to focus quickly on the essence of an issue; strong commitment to producing measurable results.
- Requires ability to function in a fast-paced, high volume, multi-faced, results-oriented work environment and to analyze issues, identify priorities, manage projects and make decisions expeditiously.
- Requires experience managing multiple projects and implementing strategic program goals.
- Requires proficient counseling and problem-solving skills.
- Requires ability to travel to various geographic locations, both domestic and international, and some overnight stays. Requires ability to obtain and maintain the necessary documentation to travel internationally.
- Requires ability to drive assigned vehicle(s) or personal vehicle, with appropriate state license, following all laws applicable; must provide proof of liability insurance and must be eligible to be insured under Buckner’s insurance policy. Requires ability to rent vehicles both domestically and internationally using required documentation. Must be age 21 or older to drive on behalf of Buckner.
- Requires ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Requires proficient ability to exhibit detail-oriented skills necessary to understand and manage a wide-range of information.
- Proficient working knowledge and ability to accurately and timely operate and perform computer related tasks with specific equipment and software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook, required.
- Requires professional commitment to Christian principles and teachings so as to perform tasks and responsibilities in alignment with Buckner’s mission, vision, and values.
- Requires ability to use up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or 10 pounds continuously to move objects.
- Requires ability to walk frequently; occasionally stand for prolonged periods of time; occasionally required to squat, climb stairs, kneel and twist. Required to sit for prolonged periods of time, including extensive airline travel.
- Requires ability to speak clearly and make self understood in face-to face interactions; to articulate with extreme accuracy and precisions to give directions speak on the phone, etc.
- Requires ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Requires ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, trustees, vendors, residents, families, agency representatives, etc.
- Requires ability to effectively work under pressure and remain flexible as priorities change; ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing and speak in front of groups.
- Requires ability to work under minimal supervision; exercise sound judgment and confidentiality.
- Requires sufficient good health to properly discharge duties. Employees shall not be permitted to work who have infectious disease or skin lesion for the duration of the communicability.