|Date Posted||January 21, 2020|
Editing / Writing
Rooted in the guiding principles of President George W. Bush and Mrs. Laura Bush, the George W. Bush Presidential Center engages communities in the United States and around the world by cultivating leaders and advancing policies to solve today’s most pressing challenges. The Bush Center is home to the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum, which is operated by the National Archives and Records Administration, and the George W. Bush Institute, the non-partisan, public-policy arm of the Bush Center. The Bush Center is located on the campus of SMU in Dallas, Texas, and also includes a 15-acre park, a full-service restaurant, Café 43, and a museum store.
Housed within the George W. Bush Presidential Center, the George W. Bush Institute is an action-oriented, nonpartisan policy organization with the mission of cultivating leaders and advancing policies to solve today’s most pressing challenges. It raises current and thought-provoking issues and builds programs to address the challenges facing our nation and our world. The work of the Bush Institute is inspired by the principles that guided the Bushes in public life: education is the foundation of a successful life; freedom is a universal human desire; free enterprise is the engine of economic prosperity; and every human life is precious.
The Manager of Editorial Communications will be responsible for editorial and writing support to the Bush Institute, and will work with senior leadership to execute the vision of the Bush Institute’s editorial strategy. The specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Produce significant original written content – in web articles, by-lined articles, opinion pieces, quick take articles, and news-relevant reactions related to our policy work – that communicates the programmatic portfolio of the Bush Institute in a clear and concise way.
- Gather information and impacts from policy writing (reports, white papers, etc.) and mine for story opportunities in a timely way.
- Proofread, edit, and write content when necessary to ensure consistency and voice.
- Manage timelines and deadlines, including tracking and review of editorial content
- Manage the organization-wide editorial calendar.
- Develop, manage, and execute editorial strategies across all focus areas of the Bush Institute.
- Work with Bush Institute communication managers to ensure the optimal distribution of editorial content that raises the profile and platform of policy experts within the Bush Institute.
- Complete other tasks and projects as assigned or needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The qualified candidate will possess (a):
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of seven years related professional experience.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the Bush Center.
Additionally, the qualified candidate will:
- Be a smart, energetic, self-starter and team player.
- Possess experience in communicating policy work to a diverse audience.
- Demonstrate the ability to be a strategic thinker and creative marketer.
- Retain the ability to work on cross-functional teams in both leadership and member roles.
- Operate as a calculated risk taker.
- Evidence an exceptionally strong attention to detail.
- Be able to maintain regular, dependable attendance at the office.
- Engage with a make-it happen spirit, collaborative style and possess the ability to thrive in a team-based environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer equipment.
Please visit our website, www.bushcenter.org and click on "Employment" at the bottom of the home screen. From there, you will be redirected to our employment website and can search our open positions to submit an online application to be considered for this role.
Position: Manager, Editorial
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Director, Communications
Department: External Affairs