|Location||City of Sachse|
|Date Posted||June 5, 2019|
Under general direction of the Strategic Services Manager, the Communications Strategist is responsible for the preparation and distribution of information regarding City services, projects, programs, and accomplishments. The primary focus of this position is to present a favorable public image for the City by engaging with residents, building relationships with community members, and developing effective and compelling messaging for a variety of audiences. The Communications Strategist is responsible for creating communications for the City’s website and social media platforms, as well as written public relations messaging for press releases and articles. The Communications Strategist is also responsible for creating social media marketing campaigns that highlight various programs and services offered by the City. The Communications Strategist works closely with all City departments to develop messaging and content to share the City’s story with its residents.
• Develops guidelines to ensure timely and effective communications throughout the organization, the public, and media channels.
• Develops content management standards, workflows, and policies for management of electronic and print media.
• Serves as the principal spokesperson for the media.
• Prepares press releases and responds to media inquiries.
• Develops, distributes, and maintains of all print and electronic communication channels including but not limited to social media, the City’s website, marketing campaigns, brochures, resident newsletter, and the employee newsletter.
• Coordinates website maintenance to ensure that new, timely, and accurate information is disseminated on the City’s website consistently.
• Develops a protocol to ensure the proper review and quality control for all publications (written and electronic) produced by the City.
• Responds to general inquiries from the public and coordinates the timely response with the appropriate department.
• Develops strategies to engage the community.
• Develops a standard for use of the City’s brand across the organization including writing styles, memos, letters, brochures, and presentations.
• Implements creative and innovative marketing strategies to share the City of Sachse’s story by promoting City services, programs, and projects.
• Coordinates media coverage and photography for all City events.
• Establishes a Communications Council for the organization that includes representatives from each City department whose purpose is to discuss upcoming programs, projects, and items that would be suitable for communications content.
• Works with public safety staff to develop communication pieces.
Required Education, Experience, and Certifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Mass Communications, Journalism, or related field.
• Three (3) years of recent and relevant professional experience in public relations, community engagement, website content, social media, multi-media, and/or communications. Five (5) years of experience preferred.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Adept at understanding and communicating the breadth of City operations at a high level.
• Highly self-motivated and directed.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• 40-hour on-site workweek with on-call availability.
• Sitting for extended periods.
• Flexibility to attend and cover City events, meetings, community events, and other gatherings outside of normal business hours.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Sachse is offering a highly competitive hiring salary of $61,880 to $72,500 annually. The full pay range is $61,880 to $89,731 annually. In additional to this salary, the City offers a robust benefits package.
Full-time benefits include:
- Medical and dental insurance with employee premiums paid at 100% by the City with a subsidy for dependent coverage.
- Employer paid long-term disability.
- Paid leave including two weeks of vacation, two weeks of sick, four personal days, and 10 holidays per year.
- Retirement with employer matching 2:1, with a contribution rate of 7% (employee), 14% (City), through Texas Municipal Retirement System.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, recent writing sample, and resume to Human Resources at email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on July 5, 2019. The City of Sachse is an equal opportunity employer.