|Date Posted||October 1, 2019|
The Communications Specialist communicates CoServ’s story and extends CoServ’s brand across multiple channels to external and internal audiences. This individual possesses strong writing, editing, blogging, photography and social media skills. This individual knows the right tone for every occasion and can easily alternate between writing a formal company news release and posting a fun, conversational social media post. This individual will be part of the CoServ Communications Team and will work closely with the Community Engagement, Customer Care and Human Resources teams to develop and execute measurable communication initiatives that directly relate to overall strategic objectives and company goals. This individual will also interact frequently with members of the public at community events.
Primary Position Responsibilities
- Write articles for Texas Co-op Power magazine and contribute to other state and national industry publications as needed. This could involve talking to and interviewing CoServ Members and Customers and securing their permission to use their names, comments and images in print.
- Curate daily digest of relevant energy industry, innovation and community news that is emailed internally.
- Attend CoServ community events and other CoServ functions for the purpose of documenting them – via text and photographs – on CoServ’s communication channels in an engaging, tone-appropriate manner.
- Create consistent, engaging messages for CoServ’s website, social media and other online communication initiatives.
- Prepare and distribute CoServ news releases, write scripts for videos and coach CoServ executives and other employees during video sessions.
- Produce articles and information for special publications including, but not limited to, bill inserts, digital and print ads.
- Follow Communications Team standards and quality guidelines for written, digital and visual communication.
- Perform other duties as requested or required by management.
- Comply with established CoServ safety and operating rules, procedures and guidelines. Responsible for reporting unsafe practices to a supervisor.
- Comply with established CoServ Information Security Handbook, policies, procedures, and guidelines. Responsible for reporting suspected information security incidents to Tech Support.
Secondary Position Responsibilities
- Represent CoServ at business meetings, civic organizations and community functions when requested.
- Attend approved professional development conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Assist in preparing and conducting the CoServ Annual Meeting.
- No direct supervisory role but must be able to lead and work with others across multiple departments.
Education, Certifications and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or communications field or equivalent experience.
- Five years of related experience.
Education and Experience Preferred
- Leadership experience in communications-related field.
- Five years of energy industry experience.
- Knowledge of electric cooperative history and objectives.
Skills and Abilities Required
- Demonstrate excellent human relations and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Able to serve as a spokesperson and handle tough questions.
- Exhibit proficiency in advanced desktop publishing programs.
- Demonstrate ability to manage online presence.
- Knowledge of basic mathematics.
- Able to work independently, with minimum supervision, and in teams.
- Can work under strict deadlines and display keen problem-solving skills.
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks efficiently.
- Able to use standard office/business equipment in a safe manner and observe all safety rules and regulations.
- Indoor office environment, but with frequent driving required for outdoor assignments and other events within CoServ’s service territory.
- Able to work flexible or extended hours as needed or directed.
- Able to travel, if necessary, for business and training.
- Able to lift a minimum of twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Requires frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, and reaching.
- Must have and maintain a valid Texas driver license.