|Location||222 E. Tennessee St. McKinney, TX 75070|
|Date Posted||January 5, 2021|
Under general direction of the Creative Services Manager and the Director of Parks and Recreation, and working closely with the team members of Parks and Recreation and Communications and Marketing, the Communications and Media Specialist position plays an integral role in helping the Parks and Recreation Department execute its strategic communications and marketing plan to communicate with its various internal and external audiences both to broaden the Parks and Recreation brand and image inside and outside the community and to educate and communicate with residents and other local constituents. This position is for a well-rounded communication professional with a strong overall communication and writing background as well as experience in all forms of digital media (social, video, web) as well as print materials, media relations and marketing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Play a key role in the Park and Recreation and Communications and Marketing teams, with the mission of implementing strategic communications and marketing plan, serving as a central resource for information from an overarching Parks and Recreation and community perspective.
- Communicate with a variety of constituent audiences, broaden Parks and Recreation image, expand the collective brand and instill confidence in our community.
- Foster positive interaction between the Parks and Recreation Department and the people it serves.
- Plan communications outreach and project-based marketing plans.
- Manage projects.
- Build strong relationships – Adept at communicating with team members at all levels of the organization to gather information and build communications content.
- Work collaboratively – Ability to work within cross-functional teams and with external partners to share information effectively.
- Write columns and talking points for a variety of audiences.
- Respond to citizen inquiries.
- Measure work effectiveness – Record results and progress of communications activities to determine effectiveness.
- Edit and quality check materials – strong proofreading skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient in AP style.
- Prepare applications for various national, state and local awards and other programs.
- Coordinate special events as required.
- Represent the Parks and Recreation department on various working task forces, committees and boards.
- Prepare the Parks and Recreation e-newsletter
- Edit and update content on the Parks and Recreation webpages.
- Ability to convey complex information in a way that is relevant, in plain but compelling language.
- Thorough knowledge of integrated communications strategies.
- Strong project management skills and a comfort level working in a fast-paced, demanding environment, juggling multiple projects concurrently and thoroughly.
- Manage and write communications collateral including media releases, newsletters and speeches and talking points
- Work on special marketing projects and events and oversee day to day Parks and Recreation social media outreach and strategy.
- Perform related work as required.
- Comply with all written city policies and procedures.
- Adhere to assigned work schedule as outlined in city and department attendance policies and procedures.
- Ability to work after regular work hours/weekends as events, meetings and program needs dictate.
Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or closely related field; supplemented by three (3 or more) years previous experience in local government or a corporate communication environment that includes public relations, communications, journalism, writing or marketing; or an equivalent combination of training, experience or education.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
Familiarity with basic graphic design principles, web CMS, video production, Sprout Social and MailChimp a plus, in addition to a well-rounded communications background.
To view the complete job description and to apply, visit: www.mckinneytexas.org/jobs