THIS POSITION WILL CLOSE ON 1/28/2019.
SALARY: 59,923.00 - 74,904.00 Salary USD
Under general direction plans publicity campaigns and programs for City departments; generates content for the City’s communication platforms; serves as spokesperson for the city; plans and schedules guests and subject material for the production of the City cable programming; implements practices that streamline production processes, guarantees accuracy and saves time and costs for the department and those departments requiring public relations assistance.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Consults with City staff on marketing issues related to the promotion of municipal government programs, services and issues.
2. Acts as primary contact for the news media and general public on issues relating to municipal government programs and services.
3. Budgets, plans, develops and distributes news releases and stories to the public.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
4. Plans, coordinates, develops and implements special marketing projects and public information/advertising campaigns that form partnerships and increase awareness of municipal government programs, services and events.
5. Develops and edits information for broadcast on the cable channel, website, intranet, social media sites and interactive video bulletin board.
6. Generates public awareness of the City's mission, vision, strategic plan and objectives; assists with the administration of PIO.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Knowledge of research methods and interviewing techniques, graphic design, photography, printing and production.
Knowledge of video production including writing scripts, shooting video and editing.
Knowledge of the basic principles of marketing and mechanisms for evaluating feedback to improve communication efforts.
Knowledge of various media that allow for the diverse distribution of public information.
Knowledge of pertinent federal, state and local laws pertaining to open meetings and open records.
Superior writing and editing skills.
Ability to plan and direct projects from inception to completion.
Ability to maintain effective working relationships with the public, media, City Council and staff.
Ability to maintain a positive image on television.
Ability to operate a variety of office equipment including, but not limited to PC, digital camera, and copier.
Ability to perform a variety of physical skills including, but not limited to typing, walking and writing.
Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and make fine discrimination in sound.
Ability to work in an indoor and occasionally work in an outdoor environment.
Ability to operate a motorized vehicle.
Qualifying Education and Experience:
A bachelor's degree in journalism or public relations. A minimum of three years’ work experience in journalism or public relations. Possession of a valid driver's license. Bilingual in Spanish preferred. Must successfully complete pre-employment screening, including a criminal background check and MVR.