Corporate Communications & Public Relations Manager
J.C. Penney Company, Inc.
At JCPenney, we share a passion for serving customers, supporting our communities and being the best retailer for all families. As a company founded on the Golden Rule, our success is rooted in the belief that we treat everyone the way we would want to be treated. At every touchpoint, customers discover stylish merchandise at incredible value from an extensive portfolio of private, exclusive and national brands. Reinforcing this shopping experience is the customer service and warrior spirit of approximately 98,000 associates across the globe, all driving toward the Company's mission to help customers find what they love for less time, money and effort.
Working at JCPenney means joining a dedicated team of associates who are encouraged to be uniquely themselves in a safe, caring and welcoming environment. It is a place where careers prosper, accomplishments are celebrated and diversity flourishes. It’s a place that’s meant for you.
The Corporate Communications & Public Relations team is responsible for communicating the Company’s strategic priorities, and promotes and protects the integrity of the JCPenney brand by generating media coverage that positively influences public opinion. This position will report directly to the Director of Corporate Communications & Public Relations and will be responsible for external communication efforts focused on:
- Ensuring JCPenney gets credit for the style and value it offers its customers by touting the retailer as a top destination for Home and Kid’s merchandise. This will include communicating important merchandise strategy initiatives in each of these divisions such as the promotion of key private brands, launch of exclusive offerings, introduction of new categories and services and more.
- Showcasing how the Company’s philanthropic and cause marketing efforts focused on closing the opportunity gap for underserved youth allow JCPenney to connect and engage with customers and its local communities.
- Highlighting the retailer’s commitment to inclusion and diversity, touting how the Company’s efforts drive culture, collaboration and respect and inspire workplace innovation.
- Serve as a company spokesperson in media interviews
- Develop strategic communication plans and timelines
- Create messaging and write and distribute press releases and media alerts
- Media outreach, particularly around key shopping periods such as back-to-school and holiday season
- Prepare and facilitate executive interviews as well as media training
- Secure and vet thought leadership/speaking opportunities for company executives
- Serve as project manager for corporate social responsibility report
- Work with Inclusion & Diversity team to review award and survey submissions
- Contribute to @jcpnews, the retailer’s corporate Twitter handle, and the Company’s corporate blog
- Build and maintain relationships with business partners to stay abreast of company news, attending weekly or bi-weekly meetings as needed
- Foster a collaborative working environment among all team members through information sharing and open communication
- Bachelor’s degree in corporate communications, public relations, journalism or related discipline
- 5-7 years of experience working in corporate or brand communications – either agency and/or corporate PR department. Prior experience in the retail or consumer-focused industry a plus.
- Strong, proven writing skills, utilizing AP style grammar
- Knowledge of SEC and Reg FD guidelines
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and awareness of delivering messaging and official company comments to members of the media on behalf of a publicly traded company
- Possesses clear ability to manage multiple projects at once while demonstrating exceptional composure and flexibility under tight deadlines
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office applications, including fast typing abilities with minimal errors
Our corporate office, located within the exciting new development of Legacy West in Plano, Texas, supports JCPenney stores and supply chain facilities nationwide. We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise. On-site campus amenities include health clinic, pharmacy, daycare and preschool, full cafeteria service, a 24-hour fitness center and free garage parking.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
REQ ID: 1081335