Seeking a motivated, self-starter for the important role of Supervisor of Consumer and Social Media Relations to work with minimal supervision developing and executing strategic, public and media relations activities and campaigns that aligns with, promotes and supports GME’s core U.S. physical and digital video game, mobile, and collectibles businesses. Qualified candidate will use a wide range of communications tools, programs and channels to secure product placements in traditional and emerging national and local consumer media outlets (e.g. broadcast, print and online). This position plays a critical role within GME’s Communications function and contributes to the company’s overall success and business growth objectives by creating and executing proactive, direct-to-consumer PR ideas and compelling stories that drive product awareness, understanding, and sales by engaging and motivating customers to purchase from GME’s family of specialty retail brands. While the role will interact with his or her supervisor as needed, most activities are completed without a supervisor’s advance approval.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Partner with Director of Corporate Communications to develop annual consumer PR and media program, including story ideas, pitches and editorial calendars, and clearly defined measurable goals and objectives.
- Play a lead role in devising and implementing multi-faceted, business-to-consumer external communications strategies and programs that break through the clutter and drive business results for multiple retail brands and products.
- Skillfully generate meaningful and positive news media placements within general consumer, retail, consumer goods, video games, collectibles, consumer electronics and entertainment outlets, including national and local broadcast, print and online.
- Act as brand steward for the GameStop, GameTrust, Kongregate, and ThinkGeek brands through targeted news media placements as the destination for customers to purchase all video games and pop culture collectibles products.
- Lead PR efforts for seasonal and themed direct-to-consumer program, promotions, and product launches.
- Create media materials, organize events and host journalists, bloggers and social media influencers in desk-side briefings.
- Cultivate and maintain solid relationships with journalists, bloggers and social media influencers.
- Supervise the handling of all consumer media inquiries, and coordinate all interviews with consumer news media
- Develop and maintain relationships with targeted functional, field and store leaders serving as company and brand spokespersons, and providing media training as needed.
- Conceptualize and create national and local PR and media outreach strategies and programs supporting targeted retail store openings, product launches, and/or special events.
- Help manage annual PR budget with consumer PR agency of record, as well as tracking and reporting results.
- Infuse online and social media activities and thinking into all consumer PR and media relations programs and outreach.
- Leverage professional experience in emerging media, with an understanding of how to apply tools and technology to client work.
- Find opportunities to educate internal peers and interconnected departments of digital PR/Social media trends to drive business.
- Support Director of Corporate Communications as needed with national media relations and issues management activities, and other needs that may arise.
- Partner with Marketing and Merchandising organizations to align, develop and support action-generating PR campaigns, media relations activities, and consumer online and influencer outreach programs to drive sales, store traffic and promote the online presence and affinity of GME’s family of specialty retail brands.
- Leverage monitoring tools to develop analytics reports and recaps, create and maintain schedule of updated reports based on results of PR campaigns, goals and objectives.
- Serve as a GME change agent by delivering influential communications that manages the reputation of GME and its family of retail brands, delivering shareholder value and inspiring stakeholder belief in GME’s diversification strategy.
- Develop strong relationships and partnerships with internal business and functional leaders.
- Serve as communications partner and trusted advisor with internal business and functional leaders to provide strategic and operational communications counsel, determine communications needs and identify the best methodologies and approach to meeting their objectives, as well as influence and persuade change to achieve shared outcomes.
- Manage, coach and supervise one professional communicator to encourage superior performance and future career growth.
- Independently manage high-profile projects from inception to post-project analysis.
- Identify, create and sustain effective best-practice and networking relationships with non-competing organizations.
- Collaboration: Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strong relationships with all internal departments.
- Initiative: Proactively seeks ways to add value and drive positive change for the organization through cost savings, new features etc., never being satisfied with the status quo.
- Building Working Relationships: Actively leverages cross-functional relationships to build consensus, identify shared resources, establish best practices and create profitable efficiencies.
- Creative Agility: Generates and champions innovative, unconventional ideas to generate better results as efficiently as possible in a rapidly evolving business environment with overlapping priorities.
BASIC AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE)
- At least 5 – 7 years of related work experience in consumer media relations and external communications; three or more years of related leadership experience (supervisory role) preferred.
- Consumer PR experience a must; retail brand experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with an accredited degree in journalism, public relations, or corporate communications.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Demonstrated strong leadership, spokesperson, project management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think strategically and analytically, and make sound decisions quickly and efficiently in an autonomous environment.
- Excellent written abilities and verbal skills with extensive experience in all forms of corporate and executive communication, key message and content development for external audiences.
- Excellent media relations skills, with proven product placement media contacts and results.
- Ability to work with customers to develop case studies, bylined articles and press stories.
- Experience working with broad cross-section of media/influencers and well-developed skills in building and extending media/influencer relationships.
- Proficient ability to communicate effectively with others using spoken and written English.
- Expert interpersonal and relationship building skills, including the capacity to predict and manage behavior, build and leverage cross-functional partnerships within and outside of the organization, and respond to pressure in a manner acceptable to others and to the organization.
- Demonstrate a pride in his or her work product as evidenced by a strong attention to detail, including the ability to reduce a complex concept or task into something that is manageable and clearly interpreted.
- Proficient knowledge of general corporate communications, and of Windows-based business computers and Microsoft Office programs; specifically, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word.
- Positive, high-energy and service-oriented attitude with the ability to remain effective under stress, work against deadlines, multitask and accomplish results within limited timeframes.
- Consistently demonstrates a commitment to GameStop policies and procedures, including but not limited to, attendance, confidentiality, conflict of interest, and ethical responsibilities.