The North Texas Community Foundation is dedicated to strengthening our 11-county region through effective philanthropy and civic leadership around key community issues. We serve local individuals, families and corporations by helping them achieve their charitable goals in a meaningful way – during and beyond their lifetimes. The Community Foundation is privileged to work in collaboration with our fundholders, their trusted professional advisors, nonprofit partners and civic leaders to make sure North Texas is strong for generations to come. The Community Foundation has $312 million in assets and made grants totaling $22 million in 2017. For more information, visit NorthTexasCF.org.
The Communications Coordinator works directly with the President/CEO to implement a communications strategy that promotes, enhances and protects the organization’s overall brand. As the sole communications professional at the Community Foundation, this position is also responsible for serving as an in-house account executive to meet the communication needs of various internal clients to promote their programs and departments. The individual serves as an ambassador for the organization and maintains relationships with the media.
This position is also responsible for the Community Foundation’s varied collateral and owned communication vehicles. The Communications Coordinator will serve as a communications counselor to the Community Foundation’s leadership. This individual will be expected to identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization, identify solutions and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Ensure brand consistency across all communication collateral, including elements for the organization as a whole, as well as for specific initiatives and programs.
- Consult with the President/CEO and Executive Staff to determine communication activity for the Community Foundation and implement tactics.
- Advise key messages for the organization, its programs and related issues/topics.
Publications and Collateral
- Oversee organizational collateral, including the Community Foundation’s graphics package, premium/promotional items, special community reports and other items.
- Work with Community Foundation staff as internal clients to determine program collateral needs and guide collateral development.
- Engage outside vendors (copy writers, designers, printers and mail houses) to produce and distribute collateral items at the direction of internal clients.
- Write copy/articles for the Community Foundation’s print communications (annual report, quarterly newsletter, and monthly email updates to the Board of Directors).
- Create content for the website and activate SEO tactics.
- Work with internal staff as clients to ensure the website fulfills program needs.
- Develop the social media strategy for the Community Foundation.
- Create and deploy social media campaigns and content.
- Manage and distribute website and other social media analytics.
- Develop content for the Community Foundation’s blog.
- Assess advertising opportunities and make recommendations to leadership regarding paid placement.
- Coordinate with the Development Director to fulfill external sponsorship needs.
- Negotiate advertising contracts. Solicit in-kind advertising donations.
- Facilitate development of ad campaign concepts at the guidance of Executive Staff.
- Oversee external vendors to develop creative concepts.
- Write press releases, media advisories and fact sheets.
- Identify/propose media placement priorities and story angles to Executive Staff.
- Engage, cultivate and manage press relationships and pitch stories, or oversee pitching by an external publicist.
- Develop speaking points and supporting materials for presentations.
- Develop annual marketing budget.
- Work with external and internal audiences in collecting stories, reports, photos, videos and other materials for online or print use.
- Engage the Board of Director’s Communications Committee in activity to advance the Community Foundation.
- Serve as back-up to the events position and be readily available to help when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication studies, public relations or related field.
- Minimum three years progressively responsible work experience including planning, marketing, communications, public relations, and media.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and WordPress.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with advanced knowledge of AP Style format.
- Accomplished communication and high-level interpersonal skills with proven ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Professional demeanor with positive attitude for interfacing with visitors, Board members and staff.
- Ability to thrive in a lean, fast-moving environment where adapting to change is necessary.
- Ability to multi-task and solve problems successfully.
- Self-directed, organized and conscientious.
- Ability to work with others to accomplish the mission of the Community Foundation.
- High level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Local market knowledge preferred.
- Experience with nonprofit organizations preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and cover letter to Mia Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application for Communications Coordinator”.