The Senior Public Relations Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of Southwest Transplant Alliance’s public relations initiatives, including, but not limited to assisting with the generation of earned media, conceptualizing, writing and developing compelling social media content and supporting and executing engaging interactions through public and special events. This position will also contribute to the development of internal communications content.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develop enterprise stories to cultivate meaningful connections to donation and transplantation, increase awareness/publicity for and in support of the registration of organ, tissue and eye donors.
- Contribute to the creation of content for news, advertising and influencing campaigns, website/social media content, speeches, bios, television and radio scripts, PSAs, awards submissions, proposals, etc.
- Support and develop effective media relationships through proactive interactions with reporters and assignment editors.
- Contribute to and/or manage the development and execution of the organizations involvement in public/special events that raise awareness, allow for dynamic engagement with event participants and support media/publicity coverage as warranted.
- Plan media events/press conferences.
- Assist in the conception and creation of marketing, communications and public relations plans and strategies.
- Serves as primary liaison between STA and Donate Life Texas (DLT).
- Provides monthly reports of community relations activities and initiatives.
- Represent STA at industry and community-related events.
- Contribute to the development of the department budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, public relations, or marketing required.
- Five to seven years of experience as a public relations or marketing communications professional that includes experience with various media markets and developing media contacts required. Prior experience with an Organ Procurement Organization, healthcare, allied healthcare or social/community issues is preferred.
- Excellent written skills required. Must have the ability to compose and edit copy for distribution to individuals of various educational levels across a variety of platforms and media, including internal communications.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to handle a fast-paced and often heavy workload. Ability to multitask.
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail, organization and time management skills. Exceptional personal and ethical standards.
- Ability to travel in light and commercial aircraft or drive personal auto to meet all job duties and responsibilities. A valid state driver’s license, a satisfactory driving record and reliable transportation required.