Position SummaryPublic Relations Specialist to plan, develop and execute strategic public relations, communications and outreach for informing key audiences about NTMWD operations and construction projects. Perform public relations and outreach supporting major infrastructure projects, including the first reservoir to be constructed in the state of Texas in nearly 30 years. Responsibilities include: developing communications for communities/residents where infrastructure projects are planned or underway, coordinating public engagement opportunities such as meetings, tours and events, presentations to community groups, developing fact sheets, enewsletters or mailings, responding to public and media inquiries, and posting updates on the NTMWD website and social media. Solid writing and public speaking skills with attention to accuracy and detail are a must. Previous experience in large construction project communication, issues management, crisis communications and media relations highly preferred. Basic graphic design skills a plus.
- Lead public communications and outreach in support of major construction projects for water, wastewater and solid waste systems.
- Develop and execute communications and public engagement plans to keep communities, neighbors, local officials, agencies, general public and media informed prior to and during construction activities.
- Work closely with project managers and provide recommendations on issues management and response.
- Create messaging, presentations, and materials in support of meetings or events.
- Plan and support outreach events and tours, including briefings and presentations to community groups.
- Develop enewsletters, reports and fact sheets/informational documents (including some basic graphics/charts/photos).
- Participate in and prepare internal experts and project managers for media interviews and responses. Pitch media stories of interest, conduct interviews and briefings, as well as respond to inquiries.
- Support crisis communication as part of NTMWD emergency response plans and working collaboratively with other agency and contractor communicators.
- Respond to public questions by phone, email and social media.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Communications and public engagement skills in support of large infrastructure construction projects.
- Position requires poise under pressure and excellent communication skills with various leadership levels, civic members, legislative representatives, media and the general public.
- Writing proficiency and accuracy, attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines in fast-paced situations.
- Strong issues management, problem solving, strategic thinking, public speaking and media relations skills.
- Experience in planning and facilitation of public meetings and events.
- Experience and skill using: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint at a minimum.
APPLY ONLINE AT: https://www.ntmwd.com/careers/pub-18-02/