SPM Communications, a downtown Dallas-based PR agency, is seeking a strategic, results-driven and connected national consumer media relations specialist with a minimum of five years’ agency experience to work across all SPM account teams to elevate and support earned editorial media efforts. The person in this position will serve as our resident expert on all things media and media relations, particularly national consumer media. Account service experience and strong current or recent relationships with national food, retail, nutrition or personal health and apparel media re a plus and will be considered first.
SPM’s Media Relations Specials will:
- Lead teams on media relations projects from story angle development to placement to coordination.
- Pitch client stories to national media on a daily basis.
- Maintain solid relationships with media across multiple outlets and beats.
- Quickly build meaningful, sustainable media relationships.
- Identify client stories that are media-worthy and develop solid media pitch angles.
- Write and/or review pitches for account teams.
- Proactively update account teams on pitching efforts and results on a regular basis for client reporting.
- Work with teams at the outset of projects to ensure ideas have strong media potential before they are presented to the client.
- Stay on top of trending news and editorial calendars to garner opportunistic PR.
- Share pitching best practices with team on a regular basis.
- Share insights on reporters and outlets as needed.
- Continually provide strategic, relevant feedback that can be shared with clients.
- Educate team on inner workings of media outlets, including magazine, TV news, TV feature, newspaper and online.
- Review team media lists for best/most appropriate contacts.
Reports to: Vice Presidents, Account Directors and Account Supervisors
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, PR or a related field from a four-year accredited college or university
- A minimum of five years’ agency experience with heavy media relations duties
- Strong national consumer media relationships
- Professional experience as a print, TV or online journalist a plus
- B2C experience
Send resume, two writing samples and clip examples to Mary Kate Jeffries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPM offers a creative environment in which every voice has the opportunity to be heard. As professionals who value good work (but not office politics) we have an all-hands-on deck mentality that offers everyone – from intern on up – the chance to make an impact on client campaigns as well as career development, skills enhancement and professional fulfillment.
Office life: We work hard and we spend a good chunk of our time in the office, and at SPM, we think it should be fun. For us, that means bringing our dogs to work, maintaining a friendly, casual office vibe and knocking off early on Friday. And our no-jerks policy means we foster an atmosphere of creativity, collaboration and mutual respect among leaders, team members and clients. Life’s too short to work with jerks!
Brands you love: We are passionate at our brands and we are their biggest advocates. It’s hard not to be when our clients include beloved, iconic brands whose stories we enjoy telling. Our consumer-facing clients include iconic restaurant, retail, consumer packaged goods and lifestyle clients that you may already be a big fan of.
Corporate-style benefits: While our dress code is on the casual creative side, our benefits are seriously buttoned up. We offer outstanding health, vision and dental, a 401K with a company match, parking and phone allowances and a killer corporate discount program to save you money on everything from cell phones to restaurants to cars.