The Graphic Designer at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History is a member of the Strategic Development Division. This position reports to the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications to assist in all internal and external communications and marketing of Museum exhibits, films, programs, and events. The Graphic Designer provides the key link to the concept and production of quality Museum materials. The designer also works to maintain other key departmental objectives, including: public and media relations, sponsor development and fulfillment, and positive community visibility.
Basic Function and Responsibilities (Including But Not Limited To):
- Design and produce print materials in support of the Museum’s brand that enhance its image and achieve strategic objectives
- Create brochures, fliers, invitations, posters, rack cards, and other print materials to promote the Museum, its exhibits, events, programs and films.
- Communicate the desired messages clearly by developing creative design options.
- Execute the established advertising plan including: ad creation, securing placement, coordinating schedule, and supplying necessary artwork and materials to publications.
- Provide necessary artwork, materials, and images to printers, media, and vendors as necessary.
- Obtain printers’ quotes and approve proofs following the job through completion. Clearly articulate the needs of the Museum to printers and negotiate price to assure appropriate use of Museum funds.
- Develop displays for visibility outside the Museum including banners, billboards, etc
- Provide design assistance and guidance to Museum staff
- Provide good customer service to staff members’ requests for assistance in designing printed materials. Provide suggestions for concept and design, keeping in mind innovative techniques that would enhance the final print material.
- Allow ample time for review of materials, making sure each person related to the project has signed off on the proof.
- Anticipate photographic needs of the Museum
- Work with Museum photographer or contract photographers to obtain interesting photos for publications.
- Maintain physical and electronic photo files for the Museum.
- Assist with maintenance and monitoring of the Marketing Department budget.
- Provide design assistance and content to Museum webmaster for maintaining Museum website.
- Two to three years solid design experience.
- Extensive knowledge of graphic design, print production and the publishing process.
- Must be able to coordinate multiple projects, prioritize, negotiate, and communicate clearly.
- A positive, achievement-oriented attitude and the personal skills to work in cooperation with all departments for the benefit of the Museum.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite software including Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Bridge
- Experienced at using large-format printers and laminators