Based in the Dallas area, the Director of Communications for the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church develops and coordinates the strategic communication activities of the annual conference. The Director is responsible for the management of the internal communications strategy to more than 600 clergy, 150,000 laity, 305 churches, and several North Texas Conference mission initiatives and is also responsible for enlarging the Conference’s media engagement with all of the North Texas region, comprising a geographical area of 21 counties, including both traditional and social media outlets. Overseeing the public communication of the Bishop, the Director is charged with the overall brand management of the Conference office, including visual aesthetics, unity of message, and crisis communication and response systems.
The Director is the chairperson of the Conference Communication Committee, which includes church communicators from across the Conference, and is the primary liaison with United Methodist Communications. Additionally, the Director oversees the procurement and management of all third-party vendors and/or communication interns who facilitate the implementation of the overall communications strategy.
- Manage media relations/media requests for Conference issues
- Collaborate with Conference offices/centers/initiatives to determine appropriate media responses for internal and external audiences
- Develop written materials including press releases, Q&A, media standby statements on North Texas Conference responses to contemporary issues as required
- Build relationships with key media contacts and identify opportunities to communicate Conference messages and priorities
- Provide guidance to local churches to ensure coordination and communication of messages/news to both internal and external audiences
- Develop and implement an online communications strategy, ensuring alignment with internal communications strategy
- Assess audience engagement with all communication channels, including social media ROI on a quarterly basis
- Serve as editor and provide communications content for all Conference communication channels
- Serve as the primary liaison with United Methodist Communications and other communications officers across the country and coordinate the use of denominational resources in traditional media buys and advertising
- Provide specific support in the following areas:
- Strategic management and implementation of the Bishop’s messaging
- Strategic management of the branding and communication of the North Texas Annual Conference and the quadrennial Jurisdictional and General Conferences
- Lead in the development of a new website for the North Texas Annual Conference
- Lead the communications staff in their assigned responsibilities
Required Skills and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in strategic communication or public relations, advertising, or marketing with an emphasis in strategic communication
- 5-10 years of experience in strategic communication campaigns or client management with primary client responsibility.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including but not limited to the ability to:
- Design and develop digital collateral
- Produce web-based/static content
- Write traditional press releases
- Serve as on-air or public representative
- Goal-oriented, self-starter with proven team management skills
- Sensitivity to political, cultural, and legal issues
- Experience in overall brand management activities
- Experience in managing and collaborating with local and off-site communication partners and vendors
- Experience working with local and regional news and information outlets
- Demonstrated ability in networking with multiple levels of stakeholders including management, governmental, denominational, and secular
- Demonstrated ability to foster collaboration with and meet the communication needs of a diverse target audience
Additional Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience in communication research methods and assessment
- Experience working in religious contexts
- Interest in or understanding of The United Methodist Church polity
For consideration, please send résumé and two short writing samples to Bishop Michael McKee at email@example.com.
No phone calls; emails will be acknowledged.