• Lead all Corporate external communications initiatives for earned channels (media) and owned channels (websites) --which span the Division globally and affect all organizational levels requiring significant coordination with Communications counterparts.
• Design and execute a creative and proactive media relations plan to raise the profile of the Division, its products, services and leadership team. Serve as key point of contact and official corporate spokesperson for Division response to media requests.
• Responsible for clear, concise communications that elevate Alcon’s narrative through quarterly results communications delivered through a multitude of channels to external stakeholders. Includes:
+++ Creates quarterly press releases, media materials (print, online, video), position statements and Q&A documents specific to Division financial results
+++ Collaborates with Alcon Finance, Novartis Group Communications and Investor Relations to develop the Division-specific financial narrative for Novartis Corporate and Investor Relations publications (Annual Report, AGM, 20F)
+++ Support and coordinate speaking opportunities and/or media interviews that provide an appropriate level of visibility and leadership for CEO, CFO and other executives. Includes managing the development of speeches and presentations and providing media training where necessary.
• Centralize external communication messaging through cascade of messaging (key message documents; Q&As; corporate boilerplates; fact sheets; overview documents etc.) which reach cross-global languages and cultures. Advise region, function, and site communication teams in the content and delivery of external messaging. Continually monitor and refine external communication programs and channels to ensure accuracy and effectiveness.
• Oversee development, production and implementation of all external communication vehicles to effectively inform all key stakeholders about the Division. This includes active leadership in the development of content for the production of external corporate web sites (Alcon.com); social media, and publications and videos.
• Design and oversee implementation of communication campaigns designed to strengthen reputation and brand in alignment with Division strategy and goals. As appropriate, engage external agencies and suppliers to achieve communication goals while maintaining selective agency management, strong relationships and careful budget oversight.
• Generate and continually maintain external segment of Division crisis communications plan. In crisis situations, ensure general public and external stakeholders are appropriately informed in collaboration with Internal Communications.
• Establish and maintain relationships with key external stakeholders such as media, patient groups, politicians, etc. and ensure consistency of Novartis brand and market position in all communications. As needed, partner and support customers and thought leaders including Key Opinion Leaders, HCPs, and patient advocacy groups to elevate Division awareness as well as disease and brand messaging.
• Contributes to management of social media representation to strengthen reputation, highlight culture and increase growth through improving existing channels/platforms and continually exploring new options. Includes, but not limited to, LinkedIn, Facebook, Google, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
• Ensure external messaging reflects all relevant Division involvement including Corporate Social Responsibility impact, key product launches, upcoming innovation milestones, and other internal activities appropriate to share externally
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. As part of the Novartis Group of Companies, Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Please apply at www.alcon.com/careers
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related discipline such as corporate communications, public relations or marketing communications
• 10 years of relevant experience in the field of communications with considerable experience in external communications including media relations and agency experience
• Demonstrated outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
• Proficiency in spoken and written English; second language is a plus
• Ability to work under tight timelines and deadlines, often on sensitive confidential issues
• Must be available to respond at all times, particularly during crisis situations, to handle media relations
• Must show a strong grasp of the Division vision, priorities, and culture and reflect them in all communications
• Must be able to handle pressure situations while acting as company spokesperson, demonstrating an excellent sense of judgment