JCPenney, one of the nation’s largest apparel and home retailers, combines an expansive footprint of nearly 870 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico with a powerful e-commerce site, jcp.com, to deliver style and value for all hard-working American families. At every touchpoint, customers will discover stylish merchandise at incredible value from an extensive portfolio of private, exclusive and national brands. Reinforcing this shopping experience is the customer service and warrior spirit of approximately 98,000 associates across the globe, all driving toward the Company's mission to help customers find what they love for less time, money and effort. We're looking for motivated, talented individuals who can emerge as Warriors in our organization.
The Corporate Communications & Public Relations team is responsible for communicating the Company’s strategic vision, elevating the perception of JCPenney by highlighting how the retailer is accelerating its turnaround and creating shareholder value. This position will report to the Director of Corporate Communications & Public Relations and will be responsible for external communications focused on:
- Highlighting the Company’s beauty business – Sephora inside JCPenney, salon and fine jewelry – as a key differentiator in the retail industry by showcasing how these unique, personalized experiences that cannot be replicated online, drive traffic, cross shopping and increase the frequency of visits to our brick-and-mortar store locations.
- Leading our digital content strategy, leveraging the JCPenney online newsroom, JCPenney corporate Twitter channel and corporate blog to create and distribute valuable, relevant and consistent content that allows us to drive our corporate narrative.
- Supporting communications that showcase how the Company’s marketing, branding, promotional and cause-marketing efforts allow JCPenney to connect and engage with customers, helping to increase revenue per customer; and
- Ensuring JCPenney gets credit for its portrait and optical services by touting JCPenney as a convenient, one-stop destination for the family.
- Serve as a company spokesperson
- Contribute to the creation of communication plans
- Develop messaging and write and distribute press releases and media alerts
- Field and evaluate incoming media requests and delegate accordingly
- Media outreach support, particularly around key shopping periods such as back-to-school and holiday season
- Help in preparing and facilitating executive interviews
- Assist in securing and vetting thought leadership/speaking opportunities for company executives
- Contribute to @jcpnews, the retailer’s corporate Twitter handle, and the Company’s corporate blog
- Build and maintain relationships with business partners to stay abreast of company news, attending weekly or bi-weekly meetings as needed
- Ensure stores are informed of media activities through appropriate and approved communication channel
- Split team administration duties another senior specialist, which includes overseeing our media hotlines, distributing a daily media report, maintaining our media lists and mall contact lists and creating and distributing recap reports to company leadership
- Foster a collaborative working environment among all team members through information sharing and open communication
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations or related discipline
- 3-5 years of experience working in corporate or brand communications – either agency and/ or corporate PR department. Prior experience in the retail or consumer-focused industry a plus.
- Strong, proven writing skills, utilizing AP style grammar
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and awareness of delivering messaging and official company comments to members of the media on behalf of a publicly traded company
- Possesses clear ability to manage multiple projects at once while demonstrating exceptional composure and flexibility under tight deadlines.
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office applications, including fast typing abilities with minimal errors.
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms and WordPress
Our corporate office, located within the exciting new development of Legacy West in Plano, Texas, supports JCPenney stores and supply chain facilities nationwide. We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise. On-site campus amenities include: free garage parking, full cafeteria services, coffee shop, pharmacy and onsite Bright Horizons daycare and preschool, Concentra health clinic and a 24-hour fitness center.