PURPOSE OF JOB
To provide marketing and communications support through the development and execution of social media and internal/external communications initiatives while affording an undergraduate or graduate student from an accredited college/university with an opportunity to apply classroom knowledge and develop professional skills. This position is responsible for executing a variety of social media tactics, internal and external communications, written content development, research and reporting. The incumbent must exemplify stellar customer service skills, use tact and judgment, and preserve confidentiality of sensitive information. The incumbent in this class performs under the general supervision of the Communications Manager.
- Utilize all DCTA social media channels to engage with a community of fans/followers online
- Represent brand on social media platforms through both written and visual content
- Serve as a contributor to DCTA’s social media editorial calendar and update on a monthly basis
- Update and maintain social media templates in conjunction with the editorial calendar
- Draft engaging content and new concepts to help enhance DCTA’s content marketing efforts
- Assist with the development and execution of social media campaigns, contests and activities that support traditional marketing and communications efforts
- Monitor all DCTA social media channels during scheduled hours
- Craft professional responses to positive and negative comments across all official social media channels
- Adhere to DCTA’s marketing and communications social media policy
- Act as the backup to the Communications Manager for all social posts/responses
- Create draft news releases and rider alerts
- Create relevant and well-written social media posts, blog posts and other written material
- Serve as an intern author for DCTA’s Hop on Board blog and write posts on a monthly basis
- Assist with keeping all DCTA social media documents up-to-date (i.e. image size sheet, standard operating procedures, etc.)
- Conduct research needed for assigned social media posts, blog posts and written assignments
- Conduct research to stay abreast of social and written trends
- Conduct community outreach research to support the department’s outreach efforts
- Conduct in-depth reporting for all social media channels and the DCTA blog – by post, by campaign, by subject, etc.
- Assist with email marketing reporting in conjunction with web hits/trends
- Analyze reports and identify any trends or anomalies
- Assist other intern staff with the execution of video content to be utilized across all social media channels
- Serve as a backup for video development process
Other Projects as Assigned
- Collaborate with internal departments and external partners on projects and assignments
- Assist with other marketing and communications initiatives as needed
- Assist in project support activities such as contract administration, procurement, community relations and administration services support
The Communications Intern position reports to the Communications Manager. This is a part-time position that requires 20 hours per week on a fixed schedule.
REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK
- Modern office methods, procedures, and computer equipment
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Working knowledge of social media platforms, preferably from a brand and customer service perspective, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- Familiarity with Hootsuite
- Working knowledge of the WordPress blog platform and capabilities
- Understand the organization and operation of the DCTA and of outside agencies as necessary
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Prepare draft reports and general correspondence;
- Compile and maintain complex and extensive records;
- Explain and problem solve office issues for the public and with staff;
- Preserve confidentiality of sensitive material routinely encountered as part of work assignments;
- Operate and use modern office equipment including personal computers;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with businesses, educational groups, general public, etc;
- Work under time pressures to meet deadlines
- Ability to use his/her time effectively and efficiently and own the responsibilities of his/her position and responsibilities. Values time management and organization. Is able to identify and concentrate on his/her efforts priorities.
- Ability to stay organized, efficient and self-directed. Can manage a broader range of activities than assigned. Has a desire to own his/her job.
- Ability to be action-oriented. Not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning or supervision.
- Ability to be driven with energy for the things he/she sees as challenging. Seizes all opportunities.
- Ability to use logic and methods to solve difficult problems and identify effective solutions. Is comfortable with analysis. Looks beyond the obvious and discovers answers before asking first-line questions.
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles. Is able to communicate effectively with the end result in mind.
- Ability to understand a new industry, company or product. Can learn new skills and gain new knowledge.
- Ability to get along with others individually and in a large group. Has the desire to care for the organization’s well-being and for the executives he/she supports. Interested in partaking in group development and team building activities.
- Ability to be dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Immerses himself/herself in customer information and uses it to troubleshoot requests and to impact improvements in products and services. Acts with the customer in mind.
- Ability to work in a highly-driven team environment. The desire to assist others with the completion of projects and responsibilities with the end goal in mind at all times.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Currently enrolled in college or at a university
- Field of study must related to journalism, marketing or communications
- Experience (1 year) with the development of social media content and usage of social media platforms or the equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
- Good communication skills, with responsiveness experience
- Good technical skills, i.e. typing, word processing, computer operations, telephone
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: Physical activity includes, but is not limited to: on a continuous basis, sit at a desk for long periods of time; intermittently twist and reach office equipment; write or use keyboard to communicate through written means; run errands; lift moderate weight; standing for long periods of time; reaching above the waist, reaching below the waist, and reaching waist to shoulder to reach inventory on shelves; repetitive motion and fingering when using computer keyboard; talking and hearing when dealing with customers.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Adrienne Hamilton, Communications Manager, at email@example.com.