Available Position: Communications Coordinator
Department: Development and External Affairs - Communications
Reports to: Director of Communications
FLSA Classification: Exempt (Salary)
Full/Part Time: Full Time (12 months)
Date Posted: October 25, 2017
Start Date: Immediately
The Hockaday School is an independent, college preparatory day and boarding school for girls of strong potential and diverse backgrounds who may be expected to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in a rapidly changing world. With an enrollment of more than 1,000 students, The Hockaday School is the nation’s largest prekindergarten through grade 12 independent girls’ school. Ranked among the country’s finest college preparatory schools, it was founded over a century ago and continues today to build on its original Four Cornerstones: Character, Courtesy, Scholarship, and Athletics.
The Communications Coordinator works with the Director of Communications to further the mission of The Hockaday School by providing written communications for both digital and print mediums for the School. The Communications Coordinator’s responsibilities also include:
- • Managing the School’s news process and distribute the newsletter, DaisyNews;
- • Managing, maintaining, and editing the School's website including: page content, branding, fundraising, email database, site index, special online programs, email newsletters, and the online publication of printed marketing and communications material;
- • At the direction of the Creative Director, designing marketing pieces for the School including the alumnae and trustee newsletters, brochures, and signage as well as printing and/or modification/re-design of existing pieces;
- • Managing the creation, management, and maintenance of social media initiatives; social media campaigns, including marketing/new concepts, school-community building efforts and promotions;
- • Providing design support for web-based fundraising approaches;
- • Supporting the Communications Office with the School’s magazine and annual report processes;
- • Supporting relationships with vendors of printed and promotional products; and
- • Other duties as assigned.
• Abiding by Hockaday’s Tenets of Staff Excellence
• Managing and maintaining the School’s website and social media presence
• At the direction of the Director of Communications and Creative Director, creating, monitoring and modifying fundraising approaches on website working with the Communications and DEA teams
• Adhering to Hockaday’s brand with continuity and parallelism throughout web, social media, online communications, signage, and all collateral materials.
• Setting and managing timelines pursuant to incoming projects
• Ensuring that Communications initiatives are coordinated appropriately and carried out consistently
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Graphic Design, Advertising, Marketing, Web Design or related field of study
• At least three to five years of experience in Communications, Web Design, Public Relations, Social Media Marketing, or Advertising
• Education and/or non-profit experience preferred
• Advanced understanding and ability to use computers and technology including the internet, social media, email functions, Microsoft Office, Windows, HTML, Photoshop, Illustrator, and basic office equipment
• Experience with Blackbaud products is preferred
• Well-developed interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with all constituents in a school environment, including students, co-workers, parents, alumnae, volunteers, the public, and news media
• Personal characteristics such as a friendly attitude, good judgment, honesty, tactfulness, and initiative are essential
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
• Regularly works in standard office conditions and climate
• Regularly uses close and distance vision, working at a computer screen for extended periods of time
• Occasionally required to move around the office
• Works at a desk for extended periods of time and occasionally moves around campus
• Ability to occasionally move items weighing up to 30 lbs. across the campus/office
• Regularly works in a stressful environment, effectively dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts
• Stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions
• Ability to periodically work flexible hours to meet deadlines and support before and after-school or weekend events
Qualified candidates should complete an online application for employment and attach a cover letter, résumé, statement of philosophy, and copies of college transcripts. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
The Hockaday School is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy not to discriminate, and to comply with all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination in employment based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, creed, religion, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, veteran status or other applicable protected classification.